Baby Steps Forward


"Mothers are all slightly insane."
~J.D. Salinger

Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Books, books everywhere...and not a thing to read!

When I was little, my mom used to take me to the library about once a week and let me check out anything I wanted. The rule was that I could take as many books home as I was old (ie, 10 books when I was 10 years old, etc). The times I spent in that library are some of the most vivid memories I have from my childhood...mostly, I remember walking through the doors as we were leaving, trying my best to balance all those books in my arms, so impatient that I'd already started on the first one before my mom could get the engine running in her Oldsmobile station wagon. 



To demonstrate that my literary addiction has only gotten worse...right now, I've got 22 books checked out of my local library. (Thankfully, I finally abandoned the "as many as I am old" concept - I don't think even I could juggle 38 books at a time!) I try to stagger the due dates, so I still have a few different options at any given time...though my purse does get heavy when I try to carry more than two. I keep thinking I should probably look into getting a Kindle or a Nook, but I just like the feel of turning pages too much. 


So one of the best things for me about the past few months is the time it's afforded me to catch up on my "must read" list. Today, I thought I'd share a few of my recent favorites with you...these are of the non-fiction variety (I plan to post a list of fiction soon as well). Bear in mind that I'm not actually a reviewer (my friend Kristen does that brilliantly on her BookNAround blog, which can be found here) - but I hope my comments & suggestions are helpful anyway.


Hit by a Farm: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Barn, by Catherine Friend

"Farms have fences. People have boundaries. Mine began crumbling the day I knelt behind a male sheep, reached between his legs, and squeezed his testicles. This took place one blustery November day when I joined other shepherd-wannabees for a class on the basics of raising sheep. I was there with my partner Melissa, the woman I’d lived with for twelve years, because we were going to start a farm." I can't describe this book any better than that opening...an absolutely hilarious read about learning how to live on a farm.


Animal, Vegetable, Miracle: A Year of Food Life, by Barbara Kingsolver

Wish I had the patience/fortitude to live off the land myself for a full year...but since I don't at the moment, reading this book would have to do...and I was surprised by how quickly I was drawn into it. Maybe because she's a novelist, the author was able to make sure it didn't feel like a how-to book. (side note: I actually just finished her novel,
The Lacuna, and that was a great read as well...took lots of interesting twists and turns -- but I'll say more on fiction another day.)



Sparkle Island (Outdoor Essays & Reflections), by Ellen Rosewall

I found this to be a wonderfully relaxing, humorous yet touching read, set at a blissful summer home in Michigan...made me feel like I was on vacation, just reading it. (full disclosure: the author, Ellen, was actually my very first voice teacher, so I admit to a bias...but if you don't believe me, read it and find out for yourself!)






Ina May's Guide to Childbirth, by Ina May Gaskin

Basically the natural childbirth bible. Reassures the reader that women's bodies are meant to give birth, and while medical assistance can be helpful and necessary at times...it should be just that: assistance, unless there are mitigating circumstances (ie, if a mother is high-risk). If you're interested in learning more about natural childbirth and only read one book on the subject, this should be it.





Baby Catcher: Chronicles of a Modern Midwife, by Peggy Vincent

A fascinating memoir from an experienced midwife, with insights that really captured the essence of what it must be like to have that job. Learned a lot about natural childbirth from this one.








The Complete Organic Pregnancy, by Deirdre Dolan and Alexandra Zissu

Gives a lot of helpful information on how to be as organic and healthy as possible - before, during and after pregnancy. Doesn't go overboard and dramatize, like some "green" books do...just states the facts, and lets you make your own decisions.







The Yarn Girls' Guide to Kid Knits: Patterns for Babies and Toddlers, by Julie Carles and Jordana Jacobs

I'm partial to these patterns, maybe because I used to frequent this store in Manhattan and they were so helpful there (it was around the corner from my apartment...Danger, Will Robinson!)! Right now, I'm knitting up the baby bunting pattern for our little one...I'll post photos soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment